- 70% rubbing alcohol (use too much and it can be harmful so only use a 2 to 1 ratio of alcohol to aloe vera)
- Container full of aloe vera gel or white vinegar for spray (the amount will depend on your container)
- Gloves (optional)
- 10 drops of an essential oil (lemon and lavender are good antibacterial oils)
1. Mix 70% rubbing alcohol, aloe vera gel or white vinegar, and 10 drops of lemon and lavender in a bowl big enough to fit in your container after mixed
2. Pour mixture into empty container with funnel to make it easier
3. Put lid on container (make sure it’s tight)
5. Voila, you now have hand sanitizer!
Here is an exact recipe.
For best results when applying the hand sanitizer, keep rubbing your hands together until the liquid dries. Follow the same protocol if you are spraying it on surfaces; do not wipe the sanitizer, simply allow it to dry on its own. You can make the hand sanitizer more natural by using less alcohol or not using alcohol at all. Though it hasn’t been scientifically proven to work as well, sanitizer without alcohol can keep more good bacteria around. Remember, washing your hands and using hand sanitizer, while very effective, doesn’t keep your surfaces clean so make sure you are using a good antibacterial-based cleaner on all handles, counters and frequently touched surfaces in your home, car or office. Do your best to keep the virus off and protect your friends, families, communities and nation from infecting themselves and spreading the virus! For more tips and information on COVID-19, you can check out the World Health Organization’s website.